30% of A-level students at Stoke Newington School and Sixth Form received either an A* or an A this year – a record for the second year running. 83% of students achieved top grades – A*, A, B or C – in their exams and 59% received A*, A, or B grades.
We are really pleased that our comprehensive and inclusive intake have achieved an overall 98% A* - E pass rate.
Students achieved A and A* grades in a range of subjects including Art, Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Economics, English Literature, Film Studies, Further Maths, Geography, History, Mathematics (10A*), Music, Physical Education, Photography, Physics, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, Textiles and Extended Project Qualification.
This year students have successfully achieved places to read a range of subjects including Art, Drama, Engineering, Film Making, History, Medicine, Physics and Photography. We also have several students taking up apprenticeships. We are delighted that the careful personalised attention the School gives to each student has resulted in them moving forward with exciting next steps which are well tailored for them as individuals.
Some of our individual successes, with their chosen destinations, include:
- Sebastian Caradini (A*A*A) - Architecture, University of Cambridge
- Sansel Colak (AAB) – Law, Queen Mary University
- Joel Cooper (A*AAC) – Economics, University of Warwick
- Jurgen Ferizaj (ABB) – Biology, Queen Mary University
- Skye Fitzgerald McShane (A*A*A*A) – History and Politics, University of Oxford
- Alina Seleznyov (A*AA) – Psychology, University of Oxford
- Cal Fitzgerald McShane (A*AAA) – Music, University of Surrey
- Elsa Froggat Brown (A*A*A) – Chemistry, Harvard University
- North Garms (A*AAB) – Japanese, University of Manchester
- Yasmin Koc (A*BBC) – Medicine, University of East Anglia
- Meg Naylor (A*A*A*A) – Medicine, Hull and York Medical School
- Olga Popiolek-Szuczewksa (ABB) – International Relations and Chinese, SOAS
- Spike Richards (A*AAA) – Physics, University of Manchester
- Anna Tewungwa (A*ABB) – Art Foundation, Kingston University
- Fin Apps (ACC) – Marine Photography, Falmouth University
- Elsa Froggat-Brown (AAA) - Science Major, Harvard University
We have an increasing number of students wanting to join our sixth form, with applicants from across Hackney and other London boroughs. Our Sixth Form is heavily oversubscribed in many subjects for the new academic year in September.
Headteacher Zehra Jaffer said: “Well done to all the staff, students and their families on the brilliant achievements at both A-level and vocational courses. The results reflect the hard work, determination and commitment of both students and staff. I am very proud that all our students accomplished such great results, preparing them well for their next destination be that university, Art School, apprenticeship or employment. Our intake make first-rate progress whatever their starting point with our teachers’ excellent teaching. Importantly, we offer tailored support from a range of staff for all our students to feel confident, ambitious and well-prepared for the next step. I wish all of the students the very best and look forward to hearing about their future successes.”
Crispin Truman, Chair of Governors, added: “I and all the governors are delighted with these A-level results achieved by Stoke Newington students, which represent another 'best ever' year for the school. Governors, parents, teachers and of course the students themselves can be proud that our community Sixth Form is achieving at the very highest levels of secondary schools nationally."